Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Taste Test

Sunday night I had some extra time on my hands and I had just received these in the mail...
They come in a 2 pack and are only a little over $10

So, I decided to try out making homemade baby food for the first time.  
I've been extremely excited about doing this for a long time now.  So much so that I had to hold off on doing so for the past two months.  I am looking forward to experimenting with all different kinds of fruits, veggies, beans, meats, etc. in the future.  I never knew all the things you can do with baby food!  I was given a really awesome baby food maker (The First Years: Baby Pro) that is under $50.  Some baby food makers can get really expensive. You can find this one through Amazon or Walmart and probably other places.   

I decided to start with some butternut squash. 



This baby food maker steams the food and then purees it.  I added a little water and a tiny bit of formula to thin it out.  You can use breastmilk too.  Then I spooned the mush into this ice-cube like tray, covered it and put it in the freezer.  Once frozen, you pop them like ice and store them in a freezer bag for up to 1 month.  I've heard you can do 3 months, but I wouldn't let it sit that long.  Freezer burn!


Oh yes, Liam did get a taste test...



He loved it!

We will be starting veggies, fruits, and more at 6 months.  Just a few more weeks.  Still doing the cereal for now.  I'm sure at some point I will end up using some store bought baby food, but for now this is working out well.  It didn't take long at all to make and it's so much cheaper!  Through some things I've read, I've seen that you can basically puree anything for your baby as long as you introduce it one at a time (to make sure baby doesn't have an allergy).  So, you could set aside some food from your own dinner for your baby and puree it.  You can even experiment with some seasonings!  

When it comes to making baby food, I've turned to BabyCenter for tips:


1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...