Monday, January 16, 2012

A day in the life with an (almost) 7 month old

I've seen quite a few mommy bloggers do "A day in the life with a (fill in the blank) old baby".  Though those babies are usually younger than mine, I thought it still would be interesting to do a post like that especially since I am a working mom and my husband and I take "shifts" with the baby.  At this point in time, we have a pretty good routine going on....



WARNING: Baby no longer sleeps through the night after months of doing so.

12:30/1:00am:  Liam is fussing in his crib.  Brandon has just gotten home from work.  He tries to put Liam's pacifier in his mouth, turn on the sound machine/projector thing, and comes to bed.  Sometimes Liam will stay asleep, other times Brandon gets up and gives him a 4 oz bottle and they both go back to sleep.

4:00am:  Liam is awake again, most likely (as of lately) he won't take his pacifier and either Brandon or I take the feeding.  Most of the time it is Brandon since I have to get up at 6 am.  I usually do weekends.  Sometimes I can just rock him back to sleep and he'll be fine.

6:00am-7:00am:  Time for Mommy to get up and start the morning routine.  If Liam woke at 4, he usually will sleep until 6:30-7:00 am.  Ever since he started sleeping in his crib his wake up time is anywhere from 6:00-7:00am.  If he's still sleeping, I start my thing (makeup, hair, breakfast, getting my lunch and pump supplies together).  When Liam wakes I open the curtains, change his diaper, give him his medicine (Zantac for acid reflux) and nurse him.  He usually takes about 30-45 minutes to nurse in the morning (though I know some of that time is him just chillin').  But, that's why I wake up TWO hours earlier so that we can spend some time together and he can take his good ol' time.

7:00/7:30am (depending on wake up time):  Liam is done eating and has fallen asleep doing so.  I put him in his Fisher Price rocker seat and he sleeps while I finish up getting ready for work.

7:45am:  I wake Brandon up and I'm ready to start my work day.  Liam is most likely still asleep but will wake up soon after I leave.  If I'm lucky he's already awake and I get to hug and kiss him before I head out the door.

8:00.8:30am:  Daddy gets breakfast while Liam watches and plays with his favorite monkey.  The two boys hang out together until Liam is hungry.

9:00am:  Liam gets a bottle of either breastmilk (if I have some from pumping the day before) or formula.

9:15am:  Liam gets his first "real" meal of the day which consists of two cubes of fruit, a veggie, and some baby oatmeal.



9:30/10:00am:  On Thursdays, Brandon's dad comes to watch Liam while Brandon goes to the gym.  Usually this is time for Liam's first nap time which lasts for about an hour to an hour and a half.

12:00pm:  Lunch time!  Time for the second bottle of breastmilk or formula and then some more "real" food.  Two veggie cubes and some fruit along with baby oatmeal.

12:30pm:  Liam gets jumperoo time or play mat time while Daddy eats, cleans up lunch, and does dishes.

1:00pm:  Daddy starts getting things together for work and in between that him and Liam have baby-daddy fun time.  Time for tummy time, rolling around all over the place, and trying to encourage Liam to crawl.  Zantac is given again around this time.  Sometimes Liam may take another (short) nap.

2:00pm:  Liam gets a bottle before getting all dressed up and ready to go to the babysitter.

3:00pm:  Daddy drops Liam off at a friend's house who is kind enough to watch Liam for an hour (3 days a week) since Daddy has to go to work and I am not off work yet.  Liam will be spending time with his friend as well who is about two months older :)

a little after 4:00pm:  I pick Liam up and head home.  He usually falls asleep in the car and when we get in the door around 4:30ish he is still asleep, but wakes up soon after.  While he's napping I rush around to get some quick chores done like dinner prep, picking out clothes for the next day, sanitizing Liam's bottles, putting away dishes, etc.

5:00pm:  Liam and I settle on the couch and I nurse him.  He usually nurses and takes about a half hour nap on me (if I move him he wakes up) until dinner time.  I usually watch friends since they run a mini marathon on TBS every day during this time.  Sometimes I might even blog during this time, mommy multitasking!!!

6:00pm:  I fix my dinner while Liam "helps".  I talk and sing to him while he watches me work.  While I'm doing this I also make up some food for Liam to freeze for future meals.

6:30pm:  Liam's dinner is ready (fruits, veggies, protein, and rice cereal) and I sit down to feed him as I eat as well.  We're trying to get into the habit of eating together :)  I quickly clean up dinner and prep for Liam's bath.

7:00pm:  Bath time! (if its bath night, which is every other night)  Liam has grown to love his baths and I have so much fun watching him splash around.

7:15pm:  Tickle and blow on baby's belly while he laughs hysterically.  Lotion that baby up, diaper and desitin, dress him in soft, cozy sleep-n-play jammies and/or nakey time on the floor.

And this...


7:30pm:  Floor time... time for Liam to wiggle around (naked or clothed).  We play together with his puppy pals, blocks, stacking rings, and more.  I have him sit up for a while and play until he tumbles over too many times.  We do pull ups (to give him practice pulling himself up into the sitting position).




8:00pm:  Liam gets a small bottle mixed with rice cereal to fill him up a bit before he nurses at 9 since he usually falls asleep pretty fast during that time.  This is the bottle he usually feeds himself while I am close by and rush around getting things done before the end of the night.  There's usually some kind of laundry that needs to be folded and put away.

8:30pm:  Bedtime routine.  Time for meds, "boogie sucking", diaper change, & putting on the Snuza.

8:45pm:  Story time!  Liam sits on my lap and I read him one or two bedtime stories.  After this, it's cuddle time.  I hold him on my chest and look into his pretty eyes, talk to him and tell him how much I love him.

9:00pm:  Liam's rubbing his eyes and is ready to end his night.  We settle on the couch and I nurse him until he falls asleep.  I read blogs, play words with friends, online shop, and catch up on my favorite tv shows.

10:00pm:  Liam is definitely asleep.  I sneak him into his room and lay him in his crib.  At this point I may type up some blogs for the week and save them or continue to have some time to myself reading and relaxing.

10:30/11:00pm:  I'm headed to bed.  Hopefully Liam sleeps through the night!

And the cycle begins again...

Of course some days are different than others.  But, for the most part this is what our days look like.  Sometimes I might fit in a workout one night during the week, sometimes not.  Weekends are much more easy going.  Liam may take 3 different 1 hour or longer naps on those days.  Brandon usually has off two work week days, which is wonderful and I look forward to the time when I have his help in the evenings and we can all spend time together.  It's difficult on me throughout the week without him, after working all day I'm exhausted.  I don't know how single moms do it on their own, props to them.  I get stressed easily, but I push past it and remind myself that the only thing that matters is this precious baby boy : )

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...