Monday, November 14, 2011

Crib Talk: Success

We have finally made the transition from pack-n-play to crib.  Tonight will be Liam's 4th night sleeping all by his big boy self.

Here's what Liam had to say about the whole ordeal...


We switched our Babycall baby monitors with a set my mom had bought for my parents' house which work perfectly fine.  She took ours home with her and they work there, which is strange.  We think there  must be some kind of interference here in our apartment complex.  

The first night we put Liam in his crib, what I thought about the most is that this was the first time in, I don't know how long, that Liam won't be sleeping in my belly, on me, or beside me.  I felt like something was missing as I laid in my bed.  It was so strange to look over at the pack-n-play and not see him there.  This also meant that I couldn't reach over and make sure that he was still breathing.  Somehow I managed to keep myself from tiptoeing into his room too many times to check on him.

I feel like I sound a little pathetic and maybe I do.  But, this is just another milestone we have met.  I tried to keep putting it off and avoiding it, but I couldn't do it anymore.  Do other parents feel this way as well?  

I think overall I have done pretty well with this transition.  I am still sleeping fine at night and I seem to wake up pretty easily when I hear Liam making noises through the monitor.  My husband is handling the situation well, though he still doesn't have much trust in baby monitors.  He's afraid that it will stop working and we won't hear Liam cry.  I am willing to bet that he wouldn't hear Liam cry through the monitor if he himself was asleep.  This is from a man who takes 5 minutes to turn off an alarm.  He's a heavy sleeper.  But, I do think as moms, we have more of a sensitivity to our babies slightest noises.

Though we have had much success so far, I don't want to say that the mission is complete.  I'm sure some nights Liam will end up sleeping beside us again.

Also, I just bought a breathable bumper for the crib, since the one we have is very padded and we do not use it.

Anyone have one of these and care to share their thoughts?   

4 comments:

  1. You have made it so far. Great job. I am so happy you are posting all of this. I will have to read it all over again when the time is closer...

    ReplyDelete
  2. We use the breathable bumper and love it! I was paranoid with the whole SIDS thing to have a regular bumper in the crib, but Madelyn would get her arm and leg stuck in the bars without it. A few friends of mine swear by the breathable bumper so we broke down and put it in her crib. her dad even put his face up to it to make sure it really was breathable! Definitely works well and I don't worry anymore about her getting body parts stuck in the crib!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Brittany! I'm so glad that it will be worthwhile! I am just like you, always very paranoid about SIDS. So scary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Elyse! I'm glad it is helpful to you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...