Friday, October 28, 2011

Growing Little Plumpkin

Our skinny little bean has finally plumped up!  We realized this today at Liam's 4 month check up.
Today's visit made for a total of two doctors visits in one week.  Two days prior, I had taken Liam to the doctor due to an hour and a half screaming fit he had while home with his daddy one day, following a sleepless night.  Li seemed uncomfortable and fussy the entire day, so we decided to be safe and take him in.  His pediatrician examined him and it seems as though he may have just been very gassy or maybe had some problems with his reflux.  He has since been happy and smiley and sleeping well again.    

Anyway, Liam's stats for comparison taken from all of his doctor's appointments since birth....

At Birth:

Weight~ 7 pounds
Length~ 21 inches long
Head circumference~ 14 inches round 


Two weeks:

Weight~ 7 pounds 5 ounces
Length~ 21 3/4 inches long


One month:

Weight~ 8.5 pounds
Length~ 21 3/4 inches long


Two months:

Weight~ 10 pounds 7 ounces
Length~ 23 inches long




Now, at 4 months:

WOW!  Almost a different baby!  He looks very chubby in this picture, but really I think the camera added another 5 pounds.

Weight ~ 14 pounds 4.5 ounces
Length ~ 24 3/4 inches long
Head circumference ~ 16 inches round

They say at 4 months, babies should be double their birth weight.  Last month, I was nervous that Liam wouldn't meet that point, but he has exceeded it by a bit and I am very pleased.  We've never been given any information about where he falls on the growth charts.  Do doctors usually give this information or should we just ask?  I guess I could chart them myself...

We also had to deal with another round of shots today, though Liam reacted much better this time.

August
October

Now, I figured this would also be an opportune time to reflect on other aspects of Liam's life...

Liam is eating about every 2-3 hours, but mainly starts getting hungry at the 2 1/2 hour mark.  We feed him on demand, rather than on a schedule.  From a bottle, he will eat 4-4.5 ounces of breast milk or 4 ounces of formula.  He may get one to two bottles of formula a day, depending on the day.  He is still nursing well and I am pumping at work about two times a day, 4-6 ounces each time.

In terms of sleeping, Liam snoozes for about 8 hours each night, usually from 10 pm to 6 or sometimes 7 am.  Most days he takes two naps a day (one 2 hour nap and one 1 to 1 1/2 hour nap).  It took us a long time to get those naps in, but thankfully our baby is finally a pretty good napper.  I find it funny how my "mommy brain" works.   When Liam started to nap I began to worry that he was sleeping too much, though before I was complaining that he wasn't sleeping enough.  I feel like as a mother, I will never feel content.  I will always have some kind of worry or concern with everything concerning my child, no matter what.

We are working on sitting up.  Liam is still pretty tipsy.  He is scooching a little on the floor and moving around quite well, especially if he sees something he wants.  He laughs and smiles a whole lot and coming home from work is so rewarding when I get to see my baby recognize me and give me the biggest grin.

I just think back to two weeks ago and I am amazed to see how much our baby boy has grown and changed in just that short amount of time.  I barely remember what it was like to have a newborn who couldn't hold his head up or smile back at me.  Change is good and it means growth, but it is bittersweet.  I wonder what the next month has in store for us....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...