Yesterday Liam, my mom, and I went to visit my grandparents. This was the first time I was going to see them in their new place at a Retirement community. This was the 2nd time that they had seen Liam. I really loved their new place. Its hard to see the people you love grow old and then to see them move out of the house they had lived in for most of their lives, the place that I knew as their home, was a little strange. But going to see their new place made me feel that everything is still kindof the same. There is so much to do there. And it was really great to see them again and to see them interact with Liam. I can’t believe they are Liam’s great grandparents!
It did make me think though of how fast life goes by. Someone had looked at Liam and made the comment that he has so much living to do. He really does. I saw all these elderly people and when I look at them I can’t believe that at one point they were babies too. I would think about what their lives were like and how many children they have and if their children help care for them now, as they did for them. These people, who have lived so much and through so much, have had the majority of their life go by. How quickly did it pass?
Then I thought about me and how that might be me one day. And how will my life have played out? And then I think about Liam and look at his little face and I can’t imagine that one day he will be a toddler, teen, maybe a parent and grandfather. And at one point I will be gone and will he remember me and love me like I will always love him? Life really goes by so fast. I really want Liam to be able to enjoy himself and the world around him.
Sometimes to me, life is a blur. I take advantage of it and I don’t take the time to sit down and say “this is real, this is really happening”. Then I don’t enjoy things like I should. Liam is teaching me to enjoy the little things in life. When I see him, though its still hard to believe that all this is happening- he is proof that life is real for me. Creating life and watching it happen is so amazing.
No comments:
Post a Comment