Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Baby stuff, what I needed and what I didn't


Part 1 of probably many.  I’m sure I will have more input as time goes on…
Things I couldn’t do without….
1.   Boppy or my breast friend?  I have both.  I bought one and got the other as a gift. I first used my breast friend in the hospital, nursing Liam in a uncomfortable rocking chair in the NICU was made easier by “my breast friend”.  It is kindof like a boppy but it straps around you so that it doesn’t move, it has a nice pocket too.  It is really great for getting the baby to have good positioning while nursing.  The Boppy is more comfortable and easier to help with bottle feeding.  Either way, I’m still glad I have both.
2.  Cloth diapers as burp cloths- These are much better than the small ones that come in packages and are specifically titled “burp cloths”.  The cloth diapers/burp cloths are so much bigger and thicker, they really protect you from spit up a lot more!  And Liam has reflux, so I am used to a lot of spit up!
3.  Breast milk storage bags- I like these A LOT.  They are easier to de-thaw under warm running water than the tube like plastic bottles.  And I have a great breast milk storage bag container for the freezer, that all of the pumped milk in the bags fits nicely in! 
4.  Some kind of gadget that keeps track of everything baby does.  This is a GREAT idea so you don’t have to write everything down.  But, if you have an itouch, ipad, iphone, anything “I”.  You can get an app (Total Baby App, which is what I bought) for $3 (way less than buying the gadget).  They even have free ones that are just as good, but I had a recommendation for this app.  It tells me how long it’s been since Liam has eaten, pooped, slept, taken a bath, etc.  FANTASTIC! 
Things I could do without….
 1.   Wipes warmer- I did a lot of research on this and read plenty of reviews.  I ended up buying a prince lionheart warmer which got some of the best reviews.  It isn’t bad, but the wipes definitely don’t stay warm longer than 3 seconds after pulling them out. I don’t have one to carry around with me all the time, so Liam is used to the wipes at their regular temperature.  We just ended up using wipes straight out of the box and I finally put the wipes warmer back in its box and tucked it away.
2.  Any other pacifier but a soothie pacifier-   Liam only really likes the soothie pacifiers they first gave us at the hospital (and can buy other places like CVS).  I bought tons of cute pacifiers in all different shapes and sizes, but he spits them right out.   I’m still trying to get him to take them, I can coordinate them with his outfits and everything!  I guess, we will just have to stick with the aqua green kind for now ;)  
 
3.  Baby powder-  Apparently I’m not supposed to use baby powder on my baby. Neither is anyone else.  So, advice for everyone: Don’t buy it.  Luckily I didn’t have much.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...