Thursday, August 18, 2011

Being a mom comes naturally


Tonight after giving him a bath, I was dressing him, lotioning him up, and talking and playing with him. Brandon came up to me and randomly said “you know, you really got this whole mom thing down.” That made me feel nice and was really sweet of him. Sometimes I feel like I don’t really know if I’m doing the right thing, so it’s nice to know he thinks I am. He said he also thinks it’s hard to be a mom, harder than it is to be a dad. I don’t know for sure about that. But, sometimes it is hard.
Before I became a mom I thought that I wouldn’t know what to do or how to do anything. I was almost positive I would have no clue how to take care of a baby. I had no experience. I read plenty of books and googled and read online. I forgot some things, some things stuck with me, but it didn’t really prepare me. Nothing can really prepare you. (But, I’d still read them all over again and I do recommend reading up). It just wasn’t enough though. There is so much information out there you can’t possibly remember everything. I still find myself googling and looking at babycenter.com for more information. I mean, just the other day I was reading up on how you start your baby on solids (which is months away, but I was trying to prepare!). I google things all the time, because i am a worry-er. The thing is, you will do that, no matter how much you read. But being a mom, it does come naturally. I have done things I never could have imagined myself doing. I have functioned on little sleep (when sometimes I didn’t think I could make it though the day). I do hear my baby move at night, the slightest little noise wakes me. And when he sleeps on my chest when we’re laying on the couch, I’m not nervous that something will happen because my body is so alert. I am so aware of Liam whenever I am with him. It’s a mom thing, it really is. And as much as people told me that before- that I would know what I was doing, I didn’t believe it. But, now I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...