Poppy
(My grandfather)
89 years old, husband, son, brother, father of 5, grandfather of 18, & great grandfather of one.
Just over a week ago, I lost my grandfather. The last of my living grandfathers, the first whom I lost only just two years ago. Both taken by cancer. Both amazingly strong men who lived through the toughest of times. Two men who are loved and respected by many.
Please listen. If you ever find yourself in a situation in which you have to chose whether or not to go be with your loved one as they go or not to go, do it. Hold their hand, kiss their head, and talk to them. Tell them you love them. You will be sad. It will be hard. But, you will not regret it.
I have had the honor to hold both of my grandfather's hands in their last days to minutes of life. I have given them the love and support they always gave to me. I can only hope that one day I will be surrounded by the people I love when it is my time.
I debated on whether or not to post something on my blog, for all to see. But, I wanted everyone to know how special this man was and still is to so many people. Funny, charming, intelligent, full of life, a soldier, a hard worker, and much much more. We will miss him always, especially his hugs.
I appreciate everyone's thoughts, prayers, and love through this difficult time.

This post is beautiful! My Opa passed 7 years ago and I dream about him all the time. I think it's his way of telling me he's ok :) I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers!
ReplyDeleteVery nice Sarah. He was a special person. So happy that Uncle Jim was blessed to hold his great grandson!
ReplyDeleteSarah this is a beautiful tribute. Thanks for shining a light on a life well lived! His memory will live in your heart and that is a beautiful legacy!
ReplyDeleteBetty Spehr (I don't have a goodle id)!
Hugs!
Thank you so much, everyone! It means alot to me that you all read this and took the time to give your condolences!
ReplyDelete