Monday, December 19, 2011

6 month growth and milestone update

Liam turned 6 months old on Sunday, so it is time for a baby growth and milestone update!

Today, was Liam's 6 month well child check up, which included some unwelcome vaccinations (on Liam's part).  He was more upset this time than any other time he has gotten shots.  He definitely saw the nurse coming with the needle and starting crying right when she and his daddy pinned his limbs down.  He screamed and screamed on the drive home.  Poor baby.

Take a look at Liam's growth in the past 6 months...

Birth
Weight~ 7 pounds
Length~ 21 inches long
Head circumference~ 14 inches round 
One week old
Weight~ 7 pounds 5 ounces
Length~ 21 3/4 inches long




One month old 
Weight~ 8.5 pounds
Length~ 21 3/4 inches long
Two months old
Weight~ 10 pounds 7 ounces
Length~ 23 inches long


4 months old
Weight ~ 14 pounds 4.5 ounces
Length ~ 24 3/4 inches long
Head circumference ~ 16 inches round

6 months old
Weight ~ 17 pounds 5 ounces
Length ~ 27 1/2 inches long
Head circumference ~ 17 inches round

So, babycenter says (without actually showing a growth chart) that Liam's...

Length is = in percentile 75 
Weight is = between percentile 25 and 50 
Head Circumference is = in percentile 25


So, what I've gathered is that he is one of the longer ones for his age.  His weight is pretty normal and his head isn't as big as we thought it would be, considering his father's!

In terms of milestones, Liam has been a rolly, polly, baby lately.  He doesn't do a ton of it yet, but he definitely can completely roll over from both his front to his back and his back to his front.  And he does it a few times a day.  He army crawls and when we sit him up by himself, he can sit for about 10-15 seconds (sometimes longer) without falling forward or tipping over (into my arms, of course!). 

I had been very nervous about the rolling over deal these past two months.  Liam had rolled over a few times a long time ago, but I don't think he really had meant to do it.  All of a sudden, this past week he just started to do it consistently.  I seriously feel like I turn around and he's doing something new, just when I feel like he's not going to meet the milestone.  I am now visualizing days of baby proofing our place and the possible accidents that could happen as Liam starts to crawl and stand.  So nerve racking!

Li is a also a bouncing machine!  In his jumperoo he goes and goes until he gets bored.  I think he could jump forever.  He gets some nice air under him and he smiles the entire time.  I love watching him in that thing.  I also feel it is a less boring place for him to be while I'm making dinner or folding laundry.  

We just love the personality that is emerging from our boy.  He laughs a lot nowadays and does a shrieking/squealing sound when he's happy.  He is babbling a ton.  Sometimes it sounds like he's saying "Mama" and maybe he is, but I'm pretty sure he doesn't know what that means yet.  He shows interest in many things, grabs at stuff (especially my hair), and he's friendly to all the people he has met.  He's a charmer, that's for sure.  

We've switched the Soothie pacifiers to the 3+ month size.  The only difference we can see between the two is that the 3+ month ones are thicker.  Any other ideas?  

I've been told that when I'm holding Liam, he looks more like me.  But, when Brandon holds him, he looks more like him.  I'm pretty sure he looks a little more like Brandon, but I can definitely see myself in him, especially that little piggy nose.  

What do you think?
His hair is really lightening up and has little tints of blonde in it.  The baby mullet is slowly fading away as well.  

Liam is eating solid foods 3 times a day (breakfast, lunch, and dinner).  I have been making lots of yummy
"dishes" for him such as zucchini, carrots, apples, bananas, butternut squash, and more.  We mix some of it with rice cereal.  The Dr. told us tonight that we can feed him basically anything as long as it is pureed well (no dairy yet, though).  Apparently he should be eating about 2-4 oz. of solid food each serving.  

Solid food brings solid poo.  Not too fun, but definitely less of a mess to clean!

We will also be discontinuing the use of Zantac for Liam's acid reflux (as long as he does fine without it) since he is now eating solids and most babies tend to grow out of the acid reflux around 6 months of age.  

Everything seems to be going wonderfully with our baby's growth and development.  I always go to the Pediatrician with quite a few questions and feel so relieved when she tells me that these things are normal.  Other than the scratches on his little nose from his growing fingernails, he is as healthy and beautiful as can be!

1 comment:

  1. This is a great record of what Liam is up to at this time! First time blog reader after following you on twitter. My little guy just turned 4 months so it's really cool to see what a difference only two months will make! I think he has a little bit of both of you in him :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...