Saturday, September 1, 2012

My latest on the loss

I have not done an update on my weight loss struggles for awhile, but now that I've reached a significant  milestone I am ready to share... 



20 pounds down!


And 100,000 more to go.


Or it feels like it.


How slow can I go?  Pretty slow apparently.  My last update back in early June shows that I was down almost 17 pounds.  We are at the beginning of September and I am only down 3 more pounds.  I'd rather lose 3 pounds a wk vs 3 pounds in 2 1/2 months, but I guess I'll take it.  

I don't have the best will power, obviously.  During our beach vacation I probably ate everything in sight. Once we returned home, I got back on track with working out about four times a week.  I got really into my Zumba dvds which only took up about thirty minutes of my time a day.  I was nervous about starting back to work and losing my will to work out.  But, I'm so very pleased to say that I have been back to work since August 8th and I have worked out at least 4 WEEK NIGHTS a week since then.  Sometimes I even throw a weekend work out in here or there for fun.  I am so pumped that I have been able to keep up with this schedule.  I am now working out right after I put Liam down to sleep at around 8:00 pm.  This way, I don't have to sacrifice time with him in the evenings.  I'm not trying to talk myself out of exercising because "I don't want to miss out on time with my baby".

What's even better is that I've found a quick and productive workout which has been recommended by various blogs I read and twitter friends- Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred.  The absolute best part about this dvd is that it is only 20 minutes long!  Not much time to spend, but results to show for it.  Also, it is cheap (Amazon with shipping for just under $7) AND you only need a set of hand weights (I use 3 lb) and a yoga mat (which I didn't even get).  

If you are not familiar with the dvd, it is in the form of circuit training or intervals of strength (3 minutes), cardio (2 minutes), and abs (1 minute).  The point is to "burn fat and build muscle" and also to not be able to raise your arms the following day. 





There are three different levels of "shredding" and ideally each level should be done for ten days OR for as many as you prefer.  I just started level 2 and although last night I felt as if I might die on my bedroom floor, for some reason I am looking forward to the challenge again today.   

I have been "shredding" with Jillian now for 11 days and (most of the time) I look forward to my 20 minutes with her.  I am planning on finishing the 30 day shred and hopefully falling back on it from time to time or even continuing with it as my daily workout.  Because of how quick it is, this workout is ideal for a working mom like me.  But, I know at some point I will get bored with it.  I know I can change up the weights and try to work on some of the moves in advanced mode rather than beginner, but you can only take so much of the same thing over and over again before you need to move on.  

I am definitely already seeing results in my muscle tone, especially in my arms which I've never done nearly enough for.  I know I should have taken my measurements, but I did not and will probably only measure my progress by how my clothes fit and what the scale says.  I know that muscle weighs more than fat, but I always have my eyes set on the scale, waiting for that magic number to appear.  

So, that's why I'm still doing Weight Watchers.  I'm trying to keep my nutrition in tact to help with the burning fat and the building muscle and the hopefully getting skinny part.  I still have a loooonnng way to go to reach my goals.  But, I've told myself that I cannot have another child until I definitely lose the baby weight from Liam and hopefully a few more pounds after that.  I do not want to let baby weight pile up and try to lose it ALL at once after I'm done having all my babies.  I hear it's more difficult to lose that way!  


Lately...




I am definitely feeling the healthiest and fittest I have since I've birthed Liam.  It is difficult though to see so many others who have had babies lose their weight and bounce back so quickly.  I'm definitely jealous that I'm not one of those people, especially because I did work hard during my pregnancy to eat well and work out, but I still gained 55 pounds!  Though it's difficult to see these beautiful post baby bodies on other mamas it is motivation all the same.  And I'm thankful for that :)


Here's my latest on the loss...

Pregnancy weight gained ~ 55 pounds
Pregnancy weight lost in first two weeks~ 20 pounds
Pregnancy weight lost on weight watchers (currently)~ 20 pounds 
Pounds to go until pre-pregnancy weight~ 15 pounds
Pounds to go until ideal weight (5 pounds less than my thinnest) ~30 pounds


So, even though I've only met a small milestone in this forever weight loss battle, I shall celebrate all the same!  

Here's to the next 15! 

Please share your weight loss journey, success, and struggles with me!  I'd love to hear any tips or words of encouragement.  


Oh yes!  You all have helped me reach #96 on the Top Baby Blogs directory!  This is the highest yet, but I'm hoping to keep rising on the list.  You know, it only takes a few seconds to vote- just two clicks and no registering involved!


Vote For Us @ topbabyblogs.com!

8 comments:

  1. Sarah, I am with you Momma! I have STRUGGLED to lose the weight. Everyone told me I would drop it easily from nursing and that has been so far from the truth. I eat everything in sight and have been using the excuse that it's to keep up my milk supply. I am so proud of you and your committment! Keep it up you look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Michelle. People told me it would be easy, but I have been having such a hard time. It feels like I will never lose it all, but I'm hoping to! I had the same issue with nursing. I always used that as an excuse. Thank you so much for your encouraging comments. You can do it too, I know you can!!!

      Delete
  2. Great job! Post pregnancy weight loss was hard for me too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a rock star! I still have about 25 lbs. to loose from my 50 lb. gain during pregnancy. I learned my lesson this time around and will hopefully not gain as much in future (God willing) pregnancies. I am one of those woman who does not loose an ounce with nursing. I dropped 25 lbs in 2 weeks, and have been exclusively breastfeeding, but haven't lost any weight since those first two weeks! So frustrating! We can do it though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm just soooooo glad that I'm past all of that, but trust me, I remember all too well. I am a lifetime Weight Watchers member so obviously I believe in the program and I know that it works. I still weigh in and attend meetings regularly because it keeps me on track. Grandma's need to be in shape too. I commend you, Sarah, on your committment to getting fit, while keeping adorable Liam as your number one priority. You look fabulous....keep up the good work, but don't be too hard on yourself and don't totally deprive yourself. After all, that's why we have those extra "flex" points.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...