What is this you ask? Slop? No...
Definitely delicious, easy, not completely unhealthy, and something my munchkin at 14 months old, finds tasty.
This weeks munchkin meals features a quick meal that is ideal for a working mama like me. "Quick meal" to me means one that does not require much preparation when I come home from work and that doesn't take too much time to clean up.
There are four reasons why this meal is quick.
1. It can be prepped and made the evening before.
2. Prep is quick and simple.
3. It is a slow cooker meal ( I know, slow BUT you don't have to do anything once you start it!)
4. It can also be frozen and eaten again for up to two weeks for another quick meal!
(Vegetarian Friendly) Slow Cooker Enchilada Casserole
I'm a big fan of enchiladas. By big fan I mean it is my all time favorite food. Because of this I will encourage my child to eat it and love it. So far, so good.
I am by no means a cook. I find a lot of recipes on Pinterest. I make them and they end up turning great. But, I didn't create them. When I do cook something up all on my own, I rarely remember to write down my "recipe". I'm not used to doing that or sharing my kitchen tips. So, when I tell you how to make this just remember that you will need to use your own judgement! Are you frightened yet?!
You will need:
1 package of Corn tortillas (18 count or more)
2 cans of enchilada sauce
1-2 cans of fat free refried beans
1 onion (chopped)
2 small cans of sliced black olives
1 big bag of 2% milk Mexican cheeses
1 regular container of light sour cream
For topping: avocado and romaine lettuce
Mix refried beans, sour cream, chopped onion, and black olives in a bowl. Use as many beans as you'd like. It depends your own texture preferences. You probably will not use the whole 2 cans of beans. You won't need as much as you think since the sour cream will "stretch" the beans. This mixture will end up being spread in between the tortillas. So, also keep that in mind.
-Spray your crock pot with non-stick spray.
-Pour some enchilada sauce in the bottom of the pot, to cover the bottom.
-Cover the enchilada sauced bottom with corn tortillas.
-Spread some bean mixture over the tortillas.
-Pour some enchilada sauce over the bean mixture.
-Toss some cheese on top of that.
-Repeat.
-You can repeat until your crock pot is full.
-End with corn tortillas on top covered with enchilada sauce and topped with cheese.
NO ROLLING! NO MESS!!!
If you'd like you can refrigerate this up to a day before.
Cover your slow cooker and cook on low for about 5 hours. The cheese should be "melty"!
There are so many different variations to this- you could add rice in with the mixture, you could add salsa, black beans instead of refried, or of course meat if you wish.
When serving, top with chopped lettuce, avocado (not pictured), and a little more sour cream.
Once cooked you can freeze this meal for up to two weeks and have it even quicker once again!
Add some90 second microwavable rice to compliment the enchiladas.
Ok, so after that horribly put together recipe (though delicious), let's see how Liam liked it the second time around. He enjoyed it thoroughly a week ago, but seemed to like it even better for dinner the other night.
He did use his fork for some of the meal, but threw it to the side for a quicker, messier alternative.
Prepare for sloppyness :)






This looks so yummy and I love that your lil cutie is eating it too! New follower and looking to reading more!
ReplyDeletemisty @ http://monkeysandtutus.blogspot.com
Thank you! I started reading your blog as well!
DeleteLove that last picture of Liam shoveling it in :) I feel like every summer I forget about my slow cooker, then rediscover it in the fall and wonder how I ever stopped using it. So many possibilities!
ReplyDeleteHe is definitely a food shovel-er! I don't usually use the slow cooker too much in the summer either but it makes so much sense to have dinner ready when I come home from work!
DeleteThat looks so good! We do something similar in a 9x13, layer enchiladas like a lasagna instead of rolling. Great idea to put it in the crock pot!
ReplyDeleteThank you! I will have to try it out as a bake as well. I was so tired of rolling enchiladas. It takes so much time! Thanks for the idea!
DeleteThis looks great. I make traditional enchilladas in the oven but I have been a fan of the slow cooker lately so I may give your technique a try!
ReplyDeleteThank you!
DeleteThat looks great to me! I am all about the crock pot, especially if it means I don't have to turn the oven on in 90 degree weather.
ReplyDeleteLol, I agree! And thank you!
Delete