Thursday, April 12, 2012

When Baby Goes Mobile

Oh how I miss newborn Liam.  The baby that could lay on his back and watch the world go by, cooing and smiling as he lay...

Things have been a bit exhausting in our household lately.  I almost don't know how I'm going to get through the next couple months as Liam learns how to walk and can get into more things.  This child will not sit still.  Nothing occupies him for more than 3 minutes, not even the iPad which he used to be obsessed with.  He throws it to the side and goes- straight for the stairs or the ottoman or something else to climb on.  And what's even worse is that I have a teething, mobile baby who is whining almost as much as he is moving.  These two things combined make for an interesting day.


And that's the face he makes nowadays when he's not happy.

I don't want to be negative about the situation, especially since I had dreamed of the day when he would be crawling.  But, Liam is wearing me out to no end.  It wouldn't be so bad if our floors were made of pillows, so I wouldn't have to constantly sit behind him in case he takes a rough tumble.  Sometimes, when he goes down he just drops right onto his bum, but other times he must think it's ok to just let go and fall straight back like a board.  I obviously don't want him to hurt himself, so I'm going crazy trying to keep him safe.  And I don't want him to stop pulling himself up onto things because eventually that's how he will learn to walk.

Liam's crawl has gotten quicker and not only does he look back and smile when I say his name in that "don't you do that tone", but he crawls away from me faster than ever!  He then continues to  crawl towards the worst objects in the house to play with.  Like a standing lamp or the vents or the welcome mat at the front door? And yes, we've baby proofed.

I'm not really sure what the best way is to teach him not to do these things.  At first, we let him explore because we don't want him to find things so curious that he wants to see them all the time.  Now, we have been telling him "No, that's dangerous" or something to that effect.  What are some other ways to help him learn?

We do have this wonderful contraption...

 It's a baby play-pen thingy that my Mom got us all for Christmas.  If I need a quick break from running around with Liam, need a bathroom break, or have to prep dinner, I set him in this.  I love it because unlike the pack-n-play he is able to crawl around and have fun without moving around the house.  I highly recommend it when baby goes mobile.  I'm also looking forward to taking it outside with us in the summer.  The jumperoo is also a great break, but I hate to have him in there for too much time throughout the day.


I know one day I'll miss this.  Probably when he starts talking, I'll think back on these days as much simpler times.  I am so proud of my baby for growing and picking up on things so fast.  He's just all over the place because he wants to know about everything, he's so interested and that's a good thing.  And no matter what every time he looks at me with this smile, I can't help but smile back and give him a big kiss.



Excuse me while I go chase my baby ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...